Saturday, September 15, 2007

Welcome Back

No, I guess that doesn't make much sense.

If you're reading this intro post, that probably means that you haven't been here before...and how can you be welcomed back to a place you've never been?

That's the question, right there. Simple, profound, honest, and brimming with vigor even without an answer. This is so true that the answer itself becomes anti-climatic. So let's leave off the answer for the moment.

Maybe I can't truly welcome you back here, but I can welcome you, so that I will do.

Welcome to "Welcome Back".

This brings us to another interesting question. What is "Welcome Back"? This question I can, and will, answer.

Yes, it's a blog, but you already knew that and I don't feel I need to go into the details of what a blog is and how it works. If you're here reading this I'm sure you know at least enough to survive on one.

So, it's a blog. So what? There's millions of blogs out there on the internet waiting to be read. What makes this one special and worth reading?

I would like to say it's the author. Alas, this is not true. I am nothing special.

I would like to say it's the stunning perspective that I have on life. Again, not true. I'm a mere mortal in the world of Philosophy and Higher Thinking.

The only thing I can point to that will make this particular blog stand out from the rest is this; it's subject matter.

Now, it's not earth-shattering in it's content type. At it's core this blog will talk about Christianity. What makes the subject matter different is the perspective from which it is presented.

I have a passion. No, seriously, it's true. There is something that I research on a daily basis, that I strive to understand, that I strive to learn more about, that I strive to drink in as much of as I can.

It is "The Jesus Movement".

That's right, pull out the lava lamps and bell bottoms. We're taking a trip in the not-so-way-back machine.

For the sake of time (and future posts that I hope to write) I'm not going to give a full definition of what The Jesus Movement was. I'm sure that most of you have a fairly decent idea of at least the concept. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, here's what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about a very interesting piece of Church history from the approximate years of 1969-1979. In the early 70's something very peculiar began happening in churches in Southern California. By the mid 70's it had spread not only to the rest of the country, but to most of the world as well. What was it?

It was a revival, an awakening, and a pouring out of the love of God in the lives of the young generation. They came from everywhere. American Dream families, the counter-cultural movement, the drug scene, the music industry, and everywhere else there were seekers honestly looking.

Not only did they come, but they came with a passion. A passion that transformed into the image of the love of God and consumed them with a love and mission that they lived and breathed to share.

This was The Jesus Movement.

Now, I'm sure you're quite curious how that plays into making this blog special. Let me tell you.

This blog will have three purposes. Yet, all of them will revolve around this core theme.

1. To look back

2. To look at ourselves

3. To look forward

First, this blog will look back at the people, events, attitudes, beliefs, and teachings that made the Jesus Movement what it was. Together we'll look at what this passion was, how it was acquired, how it showed itself to the world, and how it was passed on.

Second, it will be a look at ourselves; the Church here and now. I'll look at all the same things now and discuss how they are similar, different, better, worse, or without comparison.

Finally, and possibly most importantly, I hope to look forward into our own future as much as possible. I want to take what was positive, lovely, inspired, and passionate in The Jesus Movement and find a way to infuse it into our lives and ministries as we press on for the Kingdom.

And there you have it. That is Welcome Back.

Now I know that this may not be your passion as it is mine. It probably isn't. That's fine, I understand. But don't just turn away. This isn't just for those of us old enough to remember or crazy enough to be nostalgic about an era we never lived through. This is for all those who want to pursue Christ in an open, honest, and passionate way.

No, their way wasn't the only way, but I firmly believe that they can teach us a great many things about our Lord and Savior and living our lives sold out to Him.

So welcome back to what God did with the most peculiar of people...

...welcome back to the love that is in your heart.



"Welcome Back" ~ Love Song

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Great intro post. It's cool how God gives different ones of us different interests and insights. I'm looking forward to hearing more of what's in your heart.

God bless you, brother.